Life-Changing Experiences in Nature
Our unique adventure programs offer adults, teens, and youth an opportunity to engage in life-changing experiences in the great outdoors. River Discovery adventures range from 1-day to 6-day river adventures, paddle board sessions, and survivor and co-survivor retreats. All programs immerse participants in the beauty and serenity of Idaho’s outdoors and expose them to the recuperative benefits of nature.
River Discovery programs often include hiking, swimming, rafting, paddle boarding and kayaking to strengthen the mind, body and spirit. Most activities can be customized to accommodate any fitness level or limitation; no experience is necessary, but the ability to self-ambulate on sand and uneven terrain is mandatory for extended-day River Adventures. A medical release from a physician is required for all activities.
River Discovery contracts with a licensed outfitter to provide professional guides and high-quality rafting and camping equipment. A safe and fulfilling adventure is a top priority so we always bring along professional medical and mental health volunteers. Each adventure promotes the essentials of healthy survivorship with frequent physical activity, good nutrition and a variety of activities to inspire, empower and heal survivors and their loved ones.
Additional financial aid for travel may be available on a need-based request.
Main Salmon River Adventure
August 24-30, 2023: A once in a lifetime opportunity in the Frank Church Wilderness
Survivor & Co-Survivor Retreat
July 21-23, 2023: 3-day adventure for adult cancer survivors and one adult co-survivor
Three Day Adventure for Veterans
July 5-7, 2023: Salmon River Adventure for veterans who have experienced cancer
Family Rafting Adventures
Summer 2023: Exciting one-day rafting adventure for the whole family to strengthen the mind, body & spirit.
Paddle Out Cancer
Summer 2023: SUP and kayak sessions to help with strength, flexibility, balance and outdoor fun.
Winter Snow Adventures
January & February 2023: Two 1-day Snowshoe Adventures
Summer 2022: Annual mountain retreat for widows of cancer, in partnership with Coalesce Discovery.
Mosaic workshops designed to support pediatric cancer survivors with art therapy.
- In furtherance of River Discovery’s’ (RD) commitment to health and safety, RD strongly recommends that all Parties (e.g., Participants, Visitors, Volunteers, and Partners) at a RD program are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Please adhere to CDC’s COVID-19 vaccination definitions (e.g., “fully vaccinated” and “up to date”) and recommendations for immunocompromised and non-immunocompromised persons. Please note that CDC’s vaccination recommendations may change as COVID-19 data evolves.
- RD serves moderately and severely immunocompromised individuals and asks that you consider the health and safety of others when attending a program. Vaccinations provide protection against severe disease. Even if everyone is up to date on vaccinations, some infections may occur.
- RD reserves the right to require masks, social distancing, testing, quarantining, and any health measures as needed. Willingness to comply with RD’s health measures is a condition for program participation.
- Do not attend a program if you are not feeling well (e.g., COVID-19 like symptoms, the flu, common cold, etc.). If this is the case, RD will find another program for you. You will not be admitted to a program if you are sick. If you have any questions about this policy you may contact email@example.com.
Idaho provides many community resources and organizations that provide assistance to Cancer Survivors and their loved ones.
River Discovery enjoys partnering and collaborating with a number of non-profits including: